Materials Science and Engineering
Professor Cosandey’s research activities are centered on atomistic studies of defects in solids and determination of structure-property relationship in materials. He is also involved in the applications of high-resolution electron microscopy and diffraction techniques (TEM and STEM) for microstructural studies, phase identification and defect structure analysis in materials.
He specializes in the use of electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS) for studying Li-Ion batteries. He has been involved in the synthesis and characterization of nanostructured materials for energy storage applications with in particular LiCoO2, LiFePO4 and LiMn1.5 Ni0.5O4 oxides. Recently he has been involved in studies on developing new types of electrodes materials based on metal fluorides carbon (FeFx/C, FeOxFy/C) nanocomposites used as high capacity positive electrodes for Li-ion batteries.
Professor Cosandey's teaching responsibilities during the 2017-2018 academic year are:
- Fall 2017: Electron Microscopy, 16:635:566
- Electron Microscopy Lab, 16:635:567
- Spring 2018: Advanced Materials Characterization, 16:635:524
- “Structural phase transformation and Fe valence evolution in FeOxF2-x/C nanocomposite electrodes during lithiation and de-lithiation processes” M. Sina, K-W. Nam, D. Su, N. Pereira, X-Q. Yang, G.G. Amatucci and F. Cosandey, Journal of Materials Chemistry A (2013) DOI:10.1039/C3TA12109G
- “Conversion reactions of FeF2 thin films upon exposure to atomic lithium” S. Rangan, R. Thorpe, R.A. Bartynski, M. Sina, F. Cosandey, O. Celik and D.T. Mastrogiovanni, J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 10498-10503 (2012)
- “Fe valence determination and Li elemental distribution in lithiated FeO0.7F1.3/C nanocomposite battery materials by electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS)” F. Cosandey, D. Su, M. Sina, N. Pereira, G.G. Amatucci, Micron 43, 22–29 (2012)
- “Formation of lithium fluoride/metal nanocomposites for energy storage through solid state reduction of metal fluorides” G.G. Amatucci, N. Pereira, F. Badway, M. Sina, F. Cosandey, M. Ruotolo, C. Cao, Journal of Fluorine Chemistry 132, 1086–1094 (2011)
- “Electrochemical Performance of Surface Treated Nanostructured LiMn1.5Ni0.5O4-δ Spinel at Elevated Temperature” N. M. Hagh, S. Rangan, F. Cosandey, R. Bartynski and G.G. Amatucci, J. Electrochemical Society, 157 (3) A305-A319 (2010)
- “Thermodynamically Induced Surface Modification for the Stabilization of High Capacity LiCoO2” N. Pereira, J.F. Al-Sharab, F. Cosandey, F. Badway and G.G. Amatucci. J. Electrochemical Society, 155 (1), A831-A838 (2008)
- “EELS Spectroscopy of FeFx/C Nanocomposite Electrodes used in Li-Ion Batteries” F. Cosandey, J. Al-Sharab, F. Badway, G. G. Amatucci and P. Stadelmann, Microscopy and Microanalysis, 13, 1-9 (2007)
- “TEM Characterization of Nanostructured MgAl2O4 Synthesized by a Direct Conversion Process from -Al2O3” J. F. Al-Sharab, A. Singhal and G. Skandan, J. Bentley and F. Cosandey, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 89  2279-2285 (2006)