Professor & Graduate Program Director
Materials Science and Engineering
|Office:||CCR-227 (grad office) / CCR-214 (own office)|
Dr. Mann trained as a physicist before specializing in the physical, chemical and mechanical characterization of materials during his doctoral studies at Oxford. He has worked in industry and academia on a wide range of topics ranging from computational modeling of microwave propagation to the nanomechanics of inorganic materials to quantifying the effects of diseases in mineralized tissues. He has a joint appointment at Rutgers in Materials Science & Engineering and Biomedical Engineering. Dr. Mann is currently the Graduate Program Director in the Department of Materials Science.
Dr. Mann's research group is focused on the nanoscale characterization and fabrication of materials and systems. Of particular interest is the nanomechanics of materials, surfaces and interfaces, including biological materials. Current projects include studies of surface chemical effects on mechanical deformation, machining damage in ceramics, the properties of diseased dental tissues and bones, and the synthesis of ultra-long nanofibers for biomedical and electronic device applications.
Professor Mann's teaching responsibilities during the 2021-2022 academic year are:
- Electronic, Optical & Magnetic Properties of Materials, 14:635:316
- Thermodynamics of Materials Systems (Graduate), 16:635:527
- Materials Seminar (Graduate), 16:635:601
- Materials Seminar (Graduate), 16:635:602
- Special Prob Materials (Graduate). 16:635:604
- Journal of Materials Research, Associate Editor, Biomaterials (since 2006)
- Chartered Physicist and Member of the Institute of Physics (London, UK)
- D.D. Mahoney, A.B. Mann, Nanoindentation analysis methods examined with finite element simulations, International Journal of Materials Research 110 (2), 91-100 (2019).
- S.M. Langan, D. Ravindra, A.B. Mann, Mitigation of damage during surface finishing of sapphire using laser-assisted machining, Precision Engineering 56, 1-7 (2019).
- S.M.C. Langan, D. Ravindra, A.B. Mann, Process parameter effects on residual stress and phase purity after microlaser-assisted machining of silicon, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 33 (14), 1578-1586 (2018)
- S.H. Ward, A.B. Mann, Four-point bend apparatus for in situ micro-Raman stress measurements, Measurement Science and Technology 29 (6), 065903 (2018).