The Materails Science and Engineering Department has had nine Chairs or Directors over its 113+ year history.
It all started in 1901 when Professor Myers, then head of the Chemistry Department, determined the need for a School of Ceramics and organzied its beginnings in 1902.
From 1902 until the present, here are the nine Chairs or Directors
- Mr. Cullen W. Parmelee, 1902 - 1916
- George H. Brown, 1917 - 1943
- Edward P. McNamara, acting Director, 1943 - 1944
1944 - 1945. Vacant. Emma Nawrot Stett, a staff member, was vital in keeping the Department functioning and in existence during this period.
- Dr. John Koenig, 1945 - 1969
- Dr. Malcolm G. McLaren, 1969 - 1994. This was a period of extraordinary growth and vitality for the Department. Two new buildings were constructed.
- Dr. Dale Niesz, 1994 - 2000
- Dr. Steven Danforth, 2000 - 2006
- Dr. Dunbar Birnie, 2006 - 2010
- Dr. Richard Lehman, 2010 - present